Chana Madra is a popular Indian chickpea curry dish prepared with gram flour, spices, and other ingredients to create a spicy and tangy flavor. It is usually served as an appetizer or as a side dish with dinner. Similar to our aray Veg recipe, Chana Madra also makes for a great vegetarian option because it has significant protein content from the chickpeas. In addition, this recipe is also rich in iron and zinc.
Regardless of its small size, Chana Madra packs quite an umami punch! With the help of some simple ingredients like ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, and garam masala, you can get this dish on the table in no time at all. So what are you waiting for? Let’s learn how to make Chana Madra at home!
What is Chana Madra or Chickpea Curry?
Chana Madra is an Indian chickpea curry dish that is usually served as an appetizer or as a side dish with dinner. It is made with gram flour, spices including red chili powder, and other ingredients to create a spicy and tangy flavor. With its small size, Chana Madra packs quite an umami punch! Gram flour and curd, which is the main ingredient of Chana Madra, is an excellent substitute for vegetables. It is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals that our body needs.
Chana Madra Recipe
- Garlic – 1 clove Ginger
- 1/2 inch piece Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Chana
- 1 cup (gram) Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Curry leaves
- 1 cup Curd
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Soak Chana (Chickpeas) overnight in water
- Boil them in pressure cooker till they are tender. Drain water and keep aside.
- Take thick bottom pan and put ghee and spices and asafoetida. Keep on low heat for a minute as spices should not get burned. Put whisked curd in the pan along with Turmeric. Keep stirring on high flame continuously till the mixture starts boiling. Keep cooking on low heat till the gravy is thick and ghee separates. Add salt as per your taste. Keep stirring and scraping the pan to prevent the gravy from sticking and burning
- Add our main ingredients, the boiled chana. Add warm water. Let it cook till you see a thick gravy. Take pan off the stove and cover it with lid.
- Your tasty Madra is ready
- Tips while cooking Chana Madra
Tips while cooking Chana Madra
Chana Madra is best served with boiled rice. You can also serve Chana Madra as a snack or as a side with a meal. It makes a perfect appetizer because of its flavorful and spicy taste.
Popular recipes on this blog
Chana madra is a tasty and healthy dish that can be served as a snack, appetizer, side dish, or even as a quick meal. It is best served with rice. This chickpea curry is easy to make and can be served as a side dish or as a quick meal with plain rice. When you’re looking for an easy and delicious vegetarian dish, Chana Madra is one that you can make at home with ease. It is rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals that our body needs. This spicy chickpea curry dish is sure to leave you wanting more!