We humans have evolved quite a bit and so have other species around us. I am actually surprised that viruses took so long to evolve! This might sound a bit mean to my readers but we have literally called this upon us. We have only been concerned about ourselves and our immediate needs and have kept adding pressure on the environment. This lead to a negative effect on our surroundings and as a result all other species suffered. Result is a widespread virus “The Coronavirus” and this could only be the beginning of a long war with a global pandemic. With Coronavirus projections shared by recently publications, the Coronavirus panic has been increasing.
Most of us are aware of the widespread virus called Coronavirus. A lot has happened including Italy coming to complete halt. With death tool rising to 1000 in Italy, it is assumed that a lock down could potentially slow the devastating effects of Covid19. The viral outbreak officially became a pandemic in the eyes of the World Health Organization, which cited the alarming spread of this disease also called covid-19 and the slow response of many nations to trying to contain it. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said 70 percent of Germany’s population could become infected and it is predicted that over 70% of Canada could be infected in the near future.
Between 70 and 150 million people in the United States could eventually be infected with the novel coronavirus as per the recent reports.These Coronavirus projections are extremely scary but it is important to know the facts to avoid pressing the panic button. Let us try not to get affected by Coronavirus panic
I am sure your WhatsApp is filled with messages that discuss symptoms and precautions one can take to tackle the virus. Few among us have also used our own knowledge of home remedies that could help us win over the virus or at least boost our immunity.
I was taken aback to know that one of preventions shared through WhatsApp was drinking alcohol as precaution to keep body warm. I couldn’t just help laughing. There is a lot of nonsense going around and it is important to stay level headed during this time
Coronavirus is spreading “Fear Contagion”
Sander van der Linden, an assistant professor of social psychology at Cambridge University, said that when one organization is saying it’s urgent and another says it’s under control, it makes people worry. With uncertainty around Coronavirus, people enter a panic zone that makes them irrational. What is important to note that in other disaster conditions like a flood, it is easy to prepare because we know how many supplies we need. But we have a virus now which we know nothing about.
Most people are stressed and due to this their reasoning power is severely hampered, so they look at what other people are doing and replicate, mostly to their disadvantage.
BE ACTIVE, BE HEALTHY AND BE SAFERead about family healthy here
Coronavirus panic buying has been extensive amid the global spread of the Coronavirus, with consumers around the world stockpiling goods like hand sanitizer, canned foods and toilet paper. Coronavirus panic trend has seen stores ration products, with U.K. retailers limiting sales of hand hygiene products while Australian shoppers have seen restrictions on the amount of toilet paper they can buy.
Fear of Coronavirus not only sticks to retail but has spread it wings in the financial industry as well. Most markets have crashed anticipating fall of economies due to Coronavirus projections. Airlines and travel companies are suffering badly due to the Coronavirus panic.
Coronavirus projections also hit Gold and Silver prices. Gold had hit record highs of about ₹45,000 per 10 earlier this month but Gold prices tumble about ₹2,000 per 10 gram in just two days. Silver rates in India have seen even a bigger fall, tumbling about ₹2,600 per kg in just two days.
Amid a Coronavirus panic around me, the demand for surgical and N95 masks increased manifold with some people claiming they were being sold at rates exponentially higher than the actual cost. People also complained about shortage of hand sanitizing gel in the market.
Facts about Coronavirus
An important fact about Coronavirus which we should all remember is that is about 80 per cent of all coronavirus cases are mild, and the overall mortality rate is around 1 per cent, according to the latest estimate shared by Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
Risk from coronavirus starts to increase for people who are over 60 and is heightened more for those over 80, as well as for people with conditions like diabetes, heart disease or lung disease, or whose immune systems are compromised.
WHO guidelines on Coronavirus
The World Health Organization’s online information about Coronavirus includes answers to questions about preventing its spread. With high Coronavirus projections, it is important to understand what methods can and cannot kill the virus or otherwise prevent the transmission of COVID-19. Information sourced from The Mercury News
- Hand-washing: Frequent washing with soap and water is effective in killing the virus. The water does not need to be hot, though warm water improves the soap’s efficiency. Dry hands thoroughly with a towel, paper towel or hand dryer.
- Hand Sanitizers: As an alternative to soap and water, a sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol can be used. Most commonly available sanitizers have at least that much alcohol.
- Hand dryers: Hot-air dryers by themselves do not kill the virus.
- Ultraviolet disinfection lamp: WHO discourages their use because of the potential for skin irritation.
- Saline nose rinse: There is no evidence it fends off Coronavirus infection, or any respiratory infection.
- Spraying alcohol or chlorine on one’s body: This will not kill viruses that have entered the body, and it can harm mucous membranes. Alcohol (75 percent solution) and bleach- or chlorine-based disinfectants are appropriate for cleaning surfaces, if used according to instructions.
- Garlic: No effect on Coronavirus.
- Sesame oil on the body: No effect on Coronavirus.
- Herbal remedies: No effect on Coronavirus.
- Smoking: No effect on coronavirus.
- Vaccines: Flu or pneumonia vaccines have no effect on the coronavirus.
- Antibiotics: They work only against bacteria, not any virus.
- Masks: Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing. A healthy person needs to wear a mask only if taking care of a person with suspected Coronavirus infection. Follow proper procedure in putting on, removing and disposing of the masks, including washing hands with soap and water before and after wearing a mask and not touching the front of a mask. Multiple masks are not more effective than one properly adjusted mask.
Covid19 has put the entire world on notice. It is almost impossible to not feel a sense of dread about what will happen in future. At this point. it is very important to keep calm and trust that God has a plan for us all and things will be better soon. Only then we will be able to survive these crazy times. May be this is time to change our lifestyle. Slow down as required, travel only if needed, spend time with family at home. I believe we are entering survival mode so that we could appreciate what we have. Stay safe!