With growing pressure and exposure, it is important to identify mental illness and causes of mental illness in youth. Kids and teens are constantly exposed to new things every day. They grow up so quickly before we even know it. Being mother of a five year old, I face a lot of tantrums and encounter a lot of behavior changes. I am not an expert about mental illness but with and some research, it is not hard to figure out that most kids and teens are affected by it.
I need one of those long hugs where you kinda whatever helps is around you for a minute.Read more about family health
As we grow, it’s normal to change since we learn new things and our bodies transform into our adult selves. But with all these changes going on, how can we tell which changes are normal? At what point should we start worrying that our child’s tantrums or teenager’s mood swings are more than just “growing pains?” It can be hard to tell. Mental illness affects relationships and the way we conduct ourselves in professional world including schools and colleges.
Causes of Mental illness in youth
Good mental health is quite important for a growing child and it allows your child to develop the flexibility to cope with whatever comes their way and helps them grow into a healthy individuals.
Causes of Mental illness in youth and children
Mental illness can affect anyone at any age and there are certain factors that can act as a catalyst which makes young children more prone to mental illness Few of them are listed below
- Long term physical illness
- Family history of mental illness
- Losing someone very close to you
- Divorce and separated parents
- Bullied or physical abuse at young age
- Handling or experiencing financial issues
- Experience discrimination, racisim
- Educational pressure
- Problems among family members, regular fights and arguments
What mental disorders are mainly seen affecting youth?
- Depression: depression is quite common and most people encounter depression in varied degree. Lot of youth are seen depressed due to peer pressure which comes with exorbitant competition to grow and succeed. Some children are seen depressed due to pressure of education and comparison.
- Self – harm: There has been a sudden growth with respect to self-harm. You might have heard about crazy mobile games pushing youth to perform certain actions including harming themselves and even suicide just to win a game. Many youth going through mental illness like cutting or burning themselves.
How do you run away from things that in your head?
Read more about DIY stress management therapy at home
What mental disorders are mainly seen affecting youth? continued
- Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) can cause young people to become extremely worried. Very young children or children starting or moving school may have separation anxiety.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can follow physical or sexual abuse, witnessing something extremely frightening of traumatising, being the victim of violence or severe bullying or surviving a disaster.
- Children who are consistently overactive (‘hyperactive’), behave impulsively and have difficulty paying attention may have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Many more boys than girls are affected, but the cause of ADHD aren’t fully understood.
- Eating disorders usually start in the teenage years and are more common in girls than boys. The number of young people who develop an eating disorder is small, but eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa can have serious consequences for their physical health and development.
Causes of Mental illness in youth
Things that could help children and youth keep up mental health
- Good physical health and eating healthy
- Time to relax and involve in some sports
- Being with family and communication among family members
- Involving with locals and connecting in local events
- Feeling loved, trusted, understood and safe
- Enjoying opportunities and accepting failures
- Having optimistic and hope around
- Good friends and hobbies
- Belonging to a family or a group
- Strength to cope with difficult situations with help of people around
When does mental illness occur and how one can identify it?
It is not easy to identify mental illness. In past decades, mental illness has been spreading its wings all around the world. It is difficult to identify mental disorder. It is not impossible to come out of it once you know that you are suffering from it. Most women suffer through post-partum depression and manage to come out it. Many young children and youth face tough situations which pushes them towards mental illness.
Most children and youth react in different ways when they are depressed. You may find individuals who prefer sitting alone or are unable to connect to the world. Few individuals get more aggressive than usual and lose connections or blame people. Some tend to choose a different path and leave their loved ones. Some children might hide stuff from parents and their guilt would make them depressed or angry. The symptoms are different for every child but a loved one could easily find out that something is not right.
Causes of Mental illness in youth
What support is available?
A lot of help is available and major section of our society is focusing on mental health and causes of mental health in youth. You may find lot of mobile applications developed by involving experts. There are lot of experts and counsellors working with NGOs.
If you feel that you are upset, please talk to your parents. They might not understand current situation but they are there for you. There will always be something for you behind this door. They are always waiting for you to knock it. Parents love talking to children and listening to you.
As parents, it is important for you to discussing feelings with your children. Always work towards creating a bridge between thoughts. Children need support and connection. Most parents don’t devote time since they are busy in their day today activities and children lack confidence in connecting with their parents. They are uncomfortable speaking to their parents, resulting in teens rebelling attitude.
A lot of professional help is available in this field. Most experts are working mostly with well known NGO’s. If you have an issue you could talk to school counsellor, nurse and psychologist.
Talking it through
Simply connecting with someone and talking about your feelings could be beneficial. Connecting with someone same age is great and gives confidence to a person. Talking about your issues help resolve and connect with the people. It creates a sense of belonging.
Experts do suggest medication in some cases. Lot of research is being done in this field.
PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE DEPRESSED
If you are upset and depressed, remember it is you who has to fight it. It is you who has to find your happiness. None of us can have it all.
A lot has gone into bring you in this world so before you try to harm yourself, remember the struggle of your loved ones who brought you into this world, helped you grow up right and constantly care for you.
I understand it is not easy to find happiness but you can. You have that strength and love.