In central Switzerland lies the valley of Engelberg picturesque town of green mountains and crystal blue lakes. Just outside the village of Engelberg, at a height of almost 2,500 meters above sea level, is the titular peak – also known as Titlis. The summit not only offers breath-taking panoramic views of the surrounding Alps but also a series of snow-covered hiking trails that are great for exploring from November through May. This article will explore why you should visit Engelberg Titlis, what to do when you get there and where to stay if you’re planning on making this fantastic corner of Swiss home for a few days.
Why You Should Visit Engelberg Titlis
Titlis is a must-visit destination for a couple of key reasons. Firstly, it’s the highest peak in Central Switzerland and a top destination for avid hikers and mountaineers. Secondly, it offers some of the most amazing views across the Swiss Alps. And finally, it’s the home of the world’s first rotating cable car. These three factors make Titlis a pretty unique destination that is worth visiting at any time of the year.
As far as seasons go, the best time to visit Titlis is during winter when it’s covered in a blanket of snow. The scenery during this time is magical, with huge snow-covered mountains, frozen lakes, and a picturesque village nestled in the valley below. Summertime is also a great time to visit Titlis as the weather is generally warm and sunny. And whilst the snow is gone, you can still marvel at the mountains and lakes from above.
Planning a trip to spend 7 days in Switzerland, here are popular reads from
Activities at Titlis
- Hiking – There are a number of hiking trails around Titlis that are worth exploring during your visit. From easy, family-friendly trails to more rugged and challenging hikes, even avid hikers will find a trail that is right for them.
- Rock climbing – Engelberg is also a great rock climbing destination, and there are a number of crags around the village that are worth a visit.
- Paragliding – If you’re visiting Engelberg during the summer, paragliding is a great activity to try. – Ice climbing – In winter, ice climbing is another great activity to try around Engelberg.
- Mountain biking – Biking is also a popular sport around Titlis.
- Skiing – Engelberg is a popular ski destination, with a number of resorts nearby.
Things to do in Engelberg
Another wonderful tour and could be great for kids is the Cheese Factory in Engelberg. I was actually hoping to see a huge factory but it was actually quite small and gave a perfect view of how cheese is made. We did get a chance to sample few and they were quite delicious.
Next up is the Engelberg Church, as simple as it sounds the church was amazing and our video manages to capture amazing architecture inside.
And yes, lastly, you will be meeting Sharukh Khan and Kajol posing for a selfie with you up topJ. Do click one and share with us.
Where to Stay in Engelberg Switzerland
If you’re visiting Engelberg during the winter, staying in the nearby village of Wengen is the perfect location. Here, you can enjoy the picturesque views of the surrounding Swiss Alps, right from the comfort of your hotel room. If you visit Engelberg during the summer, staying in the village of Engelberg itself is the best option. You can then easily walk to the cable car and start your ascent to the highest point of the Engelberg valley.
Where to Stay in Engelberg picturesque town
If you’re visiting Engelberg Switzerland during the winter, staying in the nearby village of Wengen is the perfect location. Here, you can enjoy the picturesque views of the surrounding Swiss Alps, right from the comfort of your hotel room. If you visit Engelberg during the summer, staying in the village of Engelberg itself is the best option. You can then easily walk to the cable car and start your ascent to the highest point of the Engelberg valley.
Where to Eat in Engelberg
There are several great places to eat in Engelberg, both in the village and the nearby town of Wengen. If you’re visiting the village, you’ll find a couple of great cafes and restaurants on the main strip. If you’re staying in Wengen, you can find lots of great places to eat, including the world-famous Hotel Traube.
Tips for Visiting Engelberg Titlis
- When to visit – Although Titlis is open to visitors all year round, the best times to visit are during the winter and summer months.
- Prepare for the weather – Make sure you bring appropriate clothing, regardless of the time of year. You can never be too prepared for the Swiss weather.
- How to get there – Engelberg is easy to get to, with several train stations in the nearby city of Interlaken.
- What to bring – You can never be too prepared when visiting the Alps. Make sure you bring warm clothes, a sturdy pair of hiking boots, and plenty of water.
- Where to stay – If you visit in the summer months, staying in the village of Engelberg is the best option.
- Proper clothing – Gloves, shoes, a woolen jacket and cap
- Camphor pills – These can be immensely helpful since steep ascends take to make one nauseous. One whiff and the feeling goes away.
- Additional clothes – take additional jacket if you are travelling with toddler as steep ascend/descend might make them puke. Backup is important.
- Phone battery – most important. You don’t want to miss taking pictures. Wi-fi in Titlis is free so a video call sitting on the snow could be fun
Subscribe here to get free Coloring pages and an Everyday Planner
By the Way: How to Get to Titlis
The easiest way to get to Engelberg is to fly to Zurich and then take a train to Interlaken. From there, you can get a bus or train to Engelberg. Alternatively, you can drive from Zurich, taking approximately two hours. From Zurich, the drive to Engelberg is around three and a half hours, with the main route taking you west through the Swiss canton of Graubünden. To get to Titlis, continue past Engelberg until you reach the village of Lauterbrunnen and then follow the signs to the Rotair cable car.
Titlis is an amazing destination for a summer or winter getaway. The highest Swiss mountain makes for a unique adventure for all kinds of travelers, whether you’re interested in hiking, paragliding, or simply admiring the view from above. And as far as location goes, few places in Switzerland make for a better combination of adventure and relaxation than Engelberg.
If you’re looking for a great Swiss destination to visit, Engelberg and Titlis are a fantastic choice. Lastly, Engelberg is such a picturesque town that you will simply enjoy a walk around town. It gives you a feel of an old times away from those honks and horns, a calm a peaceful live.