Stuffy itchy nose is so very annoying and distracting. It makes one irritated and prevents them from concentrating on their work. Those uncontrollable sneezes are just so embarrassing. Does the red chapped nose and the nasal tone of your voice earn you the name of clown? Well, let’s see what nose allergy symptoms and treatment for the same
What is nose allergy and nose allergy symptoms?
Nose allergy is basically an inflammatory reaction to some known or unknown allergens to which our body reacts differently. It is called Nasal Rhinitis or Hay Fever by some. The soft nasal mucosa gets irritated by the allergens and as a defense mechanism of the body, gets inflamed, causing all the visible symptoms.
Causes of nose allergy
Our body is so amazingly built, that it can do wonders. Yes, that’s true guys. When some allergic agent hits the nose, our body automatically releases a substance named “histamine” that protects our body in natural ways from that allergen. In the process of safe guarding our body, several symptoms are seen such as Rhinitis or nose allergies. Yeah, our body is amazing, ain’t it?
- Pollen from seasonal plants.
- Animal dander
- Dust mites
- Saliva of cat
Nose allergy symptoms
- Uninterrupted sneezing. This is usually the first sign of nasal rhinitis. You may recall visiting a place and out of blue you suddenly start sneezing uncontrollably. Yes, you got it right, that’s an allergic reaction.
- Stuffy, running nose.
- A sense of itching in nose and eyes.
- Coughing and sore throat (sometimes ).
- Watery eyes that may turn red.
- General fatigue.
- Dry itchy skin or eczema like symptoms seen.
- Headaches are felt by some.
Nose allergy treatment
Well, every treatment is done in two ways, one by consulting a specialist physician and abiding by his prescription which is actually good. And the other one is by trying out various home remedies, which assures lesser or nil side effects.
Most often, the allergies subside on their own on removal of the allergens and one gets back to normal life all at once. But sometimes, you need to take those sneezes seriously and consult the physician.
Home Remedies to cure nose allergy
- Keeping the house free of allergens
Simply clean your house of dust and mites that are potent allergic agents. Make your micro environment suitable for your healthy life.
Bonus: Avoid triggering agents like cigarette smoke and pollutants, which can provoke nose Allergies.
- Shut those windows of the room during the spring and fall
The notorious pollen irritates you the most during these time of the year. So, keep yourself secured from allergic attacks inside the safe zone. One must not forget to wear a mask while leaving the house.
- Take a warm soothing hot shower
This is of great help for many people. This is not only refreshing to the body but also makes you resistant to further allergies. So, yes guys, enjoy your shower.
- Nasal rinse
This may sound gross, but yes it is quite helpful for getting relief from rhinitis. Flushing out the nasal fluid clears the allergens and gives instant positive results.
- Drink more fluids
Staying hydrated is the best medicine for any disorder. Drink more and more water or any non alcoholic beverages preferably warm soup of any kind. It will sooth your throat from post nasal drip and help combat the nose allergic reactions.
- Take steam vapors
Yes, your grandmother was right. Taking steam vapors relieves the nose from experiencing that stuffy feeling. Cover your head with a towel and fully inhale the warm steam of a hot water container.
Foods that help cure nose allergies
- Sip on some hot drinks mixed with ginger, basil leaves and honey on boiling water. This is an age-old remedy to treat runny congested nose. You can also try having some hot soup , which not only excites your taste buds, but also relieves your nose.
- Eat more of fruits to build up immunity. Fruits like grapes, grapefruit, pineapple, kiwi , orange, strawberry, apple etc. The antioxidants present in these fruits are potent enough to combat with those irritating nose allergies.
- Rosemary herb is known as an effective cure for running nose. It suppresses the immunoglobulin response to the particular allergen and thus heals inflammation of nasal mucosa.
- Eating fish, flax seeds and walnuts is beneficial since it has omega 3 fatty acids which reduces the production of inflammatory chemicals in the body, thus reducing allergic reactions.
- Turmeric is also proven to be a very good anti inflammatory agent. This is the best home remedy for any kind of infection. Its use dates back to ancient times and is still used as a medicine in ayurvedic sciences.
When to see a doctor?
Nose allergies are becoming more and more common these days specially among the younger population. Most individuals suffer through nose allergy symptoms and majority of the cases are not so critical and goes off as soon as it catches. But there are some ” red signals ” which must not be ignored as trivial symptoms, these are :
- When you have the symptoms of allergies like sneezing, stuffy nose for more than 3 months, that hinders your daily chores at daytime and disrupts the sleep at night.
- Allergic nose that has not been cured even after trying OTC medicines, and many other remedies.
- When you have breathing problems, like shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing along with other rhinitis symptoms. People having other disorders like diabetes, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease, glaucoma, renal problems, etc. that contradicts the consumption of OTC medicines easily
Well, almost each one of us has experienced such runny nose allergies at least once in our life. It’s a very disgusting thing to speak in your nasal tone in front of your friends who most of the time try to make fun of it. I know, that hurts more. So, this post is all about your problems and their solutions. Follow the precautionary measures taken to prevent you from getting nose allergies. Also, the home remedies are such a bliss , which are easy to follow and doesn’t have any side effects. You should also consult a doctor if the condition demands such. So, folks enjoy your life and stay healthy.
Colossalumbrella is growing community and always on a constant lookout for content. If you are interested in contributing as a guest blogger , here are guest post guidelines that could help you.